Monday, 7 May 2012

Outing #1 Ganaraska

May 6th
For years I took groups of student to the Ganaraska Forest for outdoor education experiences.  In the winter I would cross country ski with my family and friends there.  Lorie (my wife, whom I hope will accompany me on many of my excursions) and I decided on a "Ganny" hike and picnic yesterday.
It was a fabulous day - plenty of sunshine, no bugs, few people and a forest just starting to bloom.  We took the yellow trail (3.7km) and noticed some changes right away.  The park was much cleaner, better marked and there were some awesome new buildings.  Treetop Trekking.com has even built a canopy tour for the public to enjoy for a price.
We stopped about 2/3 of the way to have a trail-side picnic.  Very nice and relaxing.
On the way home we took a new route passing through two villages I didn't know were there - Starkville and Crooked Creek.  I may have to revisit these places.  Lorie spotted a kestrel on a fence post with a mouse it had just caught. It was a perfect day!!


1 comment: