What a beautiful day today! I just had to get out in the kayak. So, I decided Frenchman's Bay offered some good possibilities, especially with the wind out of the southeast.
I put in at the end of Beachpoint Promenade, an unserviced road giving two possible water accesses. I had a look at the lake side. It was much cooler down here by the water. It wasn't bad at all, just a little chop due to the wind. I decided for the Bay side so I could easily go up the creek. There were a few fishermen on the water but it was very quiet out there - I guess it's the lull before a long weekend.
A few bank fishermen were trying their luck as I paddled under the bridge. Once through , it was only a kilometer or so until I'd have to turn around. Saw some terns, a Great Blue Heron, a few swans, kingfishers and families of Canada Geese. The hilight was all the turtles. I must have seen 20 or more. They were all sunning themselves and enjoying the peace and quiet. On one log I counted a bakers dozen lined up in a row.
On the paddle back I did venture out onto the Lake. The water was very clear and cold (48F). A few pet owners had their dogs diving after toys in the water but it was definitely too cold for me. After packing up the kayak I had a drive around the waterfront at the end of Liverpool Road. It's a nice community with lots of local businesses and restaurants. It's a nice place to have a summer drink at sundown!
No comments:
Post a Comment